Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Science of Peeking

Man - there are a LOT of good cover bands out there.

Yeah, there's a ton of terrible ones, but there's a gob of really good ones. When I find the rare few minutes to actually do some research on the 'net, I like to snoop around the websites of working bands like mine. I download the MP3s, watch the MySpace/You Tube videos, read the bios and check the play lists. Putting all of that together helps me understand the general personality of the band, what their goals are and how they see their role as entertainers. It also helps me understand the market and our competition (though, to tell the truth, most of the good, working bands are pretty friendly with one another. It falls under my "very exclusive club" rule. I have some terrific friends in a number of bands, and I know a member or two of my band has the same).

So, much like I do for tracking down good songs to play (more on that tomorrow), I cross reference the good bands and check for patterns or similarities. Is there one or two things across the board that make a band good? Unsurprisingly, the ones who sound the best and who get the good jobs have loads of things in common:

  • Corporate/casual bands look corporatey. Again, as mentioned in my last blog, having a look doesn't mean wearing matching jumpsuits. Still, we live in a visual age - and as much as the rebel and artist in me doesn't dig it, the corporate musician and businessman does. Now, if the band is an 80s hair metal tribute, we know what the look should be. Same with a southern-rock band, etc. However, for a general cover band, playing a wide range of songs, it goes without saying that being groomed, looking clean and wearing clothes that are sharp or hip is vital to getting better gigs. Yes, folks, it's about the music, but it's about the eye candy, too.
  • The players rarely make mistakes. I've gone to a club to watch some of the good bands - and subbed in quite a few - and I can tell you the pros are solid, week in and out. Think about it - a cover band plays a large part of its repertoire every week, so if nothing else redundancy should eliminate the mistakes. And, although I've played in many bands and the attitude is "well, the crowd didn't notice it," I don't buy that. Maybe not at a CONSCIOUS level, but - normally - the crowd is more astute than that. A listener might think the band sounded better "last week" on a particular song when, in fact, the playing was identical except for a few well-placed errors.
  • The members are social with the crowd and the client. People want to know you're interested in what they have to say. Clients want to know you respect them enough to do the things they ask - even if it's five minutes before downbeat. Don't bitch about the trouble to make it happen - just make it happen.
  • There is no drama, fighting, power struggles or passive aggressiveness on stage. The crowd and the client don't think you're cool, or funny, or edgy/sarcastic if you mumble "fu&%ing great" under your breath but in the mic. They just think you're unprofessional. Save the BS for breaks, and do it outside of client/crowd earshot.
  • Playing the correct songs - no way to skimp here. My last post, and a few before it, talk about this in great detail. Quit snivelling that "YMCA" is beneath your artistic standing - if it is, quit the cover band and go make great art. Otherwise, play for the crowd - not TO them.
  • I'm thoroughly convinced having a female player helps - a lot. I've tried two female players in this band, but for various reasons neither worked out. Still, having a female vocalist who doubles on an instrument REALLY increases a band's song repertoire - and visual appeal, as well.
So, those are the results of some peeking at other bands. If they're all doing this, and they're all successful - it's hard to argue their merits.

No comments: