Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Fans? Nope...Friends.

Professional musicians operate on several different levels. I'm going to simplify this because I could probably sub-compartmentalize it to DEATH, and who wants to read that? Anyway, you have:

  • The big timers who've become part of our lexicon (U2, Rolling Stones, etc.)
  • The support players for big name acts - touring the world
  • Four kids driving cross-country in a van, living on peanut butter sandwiches and doing 300 gigs a year in 300 different towns
  • Cover musicians doing various gigs
Three of the four normally have a built-in fanbase - that much is obvious. But in looking at my career as a cover musician I can honestly say this: even though I can play music because of hours upon hours of practice, accumulating contacts, becoming experienced enough to handle specific gigs/crowds, learning a zillion and one songs, keeping myself healthy, staying positive and interacting with really good musicians, I'd never be able to play one note outside of my garage...

...if it wasn't for the people who've supported me and the band.

These wonderful, giving and caring people are NOT Party Jones "fans" - not even close. They're "friends." People who, to see the band, make schedule changes, find babysitting, get in the car and drive awhile, scramble for a good seat, spend money at the restaurant and the bar (keeping the till spinning!) and bragging to management how good the band is. They also bring friends/relatives/relations to the gig, recommend the band to their bosses or event coordinators and generally make a room feel really "up" and postitive.

So - my relationship with those terrific people is a bit convoluted. I'M a fan of THEIRS, not the other way around, and believe me when I say I'd be playing the stereo in my garage rather than playing gigs in Cabo, Big Bear and at the Long Beach Grand Prix if it wasn't for them.

My friends - thank you for continuing to give me the opportunity to sing for you.

No comments: